The Society for Psychological Anthropology (SPA) announces The Beatrice and John Whiting SPA Biennial Travel Grants to facilitate participation in the SPA Biennial Meetings. The SPA Biennial Meetings represent one of the most important ways in which the SPA promotes and supports the continued growth of the field of psychological anthropology, and these travels grants provides financial assistance to individuals, who might not otherwise be able to attend, to do so.
Eligibility: Grants are open to undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and un- and under-employed professionals.
- All applicants must be making a presentation at the conference in the form of a paper, poster, photo essay or ethnographic film. Individuals who are participating solely as a session chair, discussant or workshop participant are not eligible.
- Awardees must attend at least two full days of the conference, and must stay in the designated conference hotel.
- Awardees need not be current members of the SPA.
- Individuals are not eligible to receive the award if they also are receiving any other funding from the SPA to attend the biennial meeting, such as an International Early Career Scholar Travel Grant, or travel support provided to the SPA Board’s graduate student representative.
- Awards of approximately $400 will be awarded to individuals to facilitate their participation in the SPA Biennial Meetings. The number of awards is expected to be 15 but will vary initially as the endowment becomes established.
Information about the application criteria and process will be posted on the SPA website at the time of the Call for Submissions to the 2019 Biennial Meeting.
If you have any questions, please contact current SPA President, Jill Korbin ([email protected]).
We thank outgoing SPA Treasurer Hal Odden for his creativity and dedication in establishing this fund.
Interested in making a contribution?
You may make a donation to the Beatrice and John Whiting SPA Biennial Travel Grant Endowment by clicking on the link below. All donations are tax-deductible.
All award and selection committees abide by the SPA’s Conflict of Interest Statement and Recusal Policy.